I come across business cards all the time. They-for the most part contain obvious information like a name, tittle, address, phone, and a fax. Since the rise of the internet, we started to see web links, social media and email addresses included as well.
What drives me crazy is when I see someone has a website but their email address is not linked with their business url (email@example.com). They instead have a gmail, aol or hotmail address. First of all it doesn’t look professional and second you are missing a chance to advertise your business for free to anyone you send an email.
How many emails do you send or receive on daily basis. Think about it, how many people will know your web presence just from your email address. Using Gmail is not helping your business, it helps Google. If your webmaster didn’t suggest or help create an email for you, i have a simple tutorial to do just that using google apps instead of your hosting. It used to be free before 2012 but they changed to $5 per user or you can get one for free from your hosting provider and here is how it’s done with gmail.
1. Purchase a custom domain name. I purchase all of mine from bluehost because they register it for free if you buy their hosting package. In other words it is pre-packaged with whatever you are paying for hosting.
2. Visit the Google Apps site.
3. Click “get started” and then enter your basic information in the steps that follow in order to create your account.
4. You’ll have the option to set up your account the “Express” or “Custom” way. I recommend Express — it’s really quick!
5. Now you need to “verify” your domain name. The easiest way in my opinion, is to “insert an HTML tag into your site’s home page” —. 🙂 To do this, you need to copy a code that they provide in your website’s <head> section. Many WordPress themes, such as Headway and Genesis, have a space for this (in Headway, it’s under Headway>>Options >>Scripts/Analytics>>Header Scripts). If you can’t find it, then there’s a plugin you can install here that will provide an easy-to-edit <head> section. Then, just copy the code that Google provides in that section.
6. Click “verify.”
7. Once you’re done, login to your Google Apps account and click “Users.” There, you’ll see the option to add new users (i.e. custom email addresses!). Adding new users is $5 per user, per month or $50 for the year.
8. That’s it! You’re done! You can now send emails from firstname.lastname@example.org!